St. Peter Parish History

St. Peter Parish was founded in May of 1869 at the request of sixty-five Catholic families - mostly Germans and Luxembourgers - who lived in the area then know as Niles Center. Before 1869 Niles Center was a mission of St. Joseph Church in Gross Point, Illinois.

Peter and Magdalena Blameuser donated six acres of land for a church, parish, house and school. Four acres were also included for use as a cemetery.

The first church building was a frame structure which faced west toward what is now Lincoln Avenue.

The present Church, located at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Niles Center Road, was built in 1894.

All Albums » Tags Search Tags 
No tags are currently available.