St. Peter Parish History

St. Peter Parish was founded in May of 1869 at the request of sixty-five Catholic families - mostly Germans and Luxembourgers - who lived in the area then know as Niles Center. Before 1869 Niles Center was a mission of St. Joseph Church in Gross Point, Illinois.

Peter and Magdalena Blameuser donated six acres of land for a church, parish, house and school. Four acres were also included for use as a cemetery.

The first church building was a frame structure which faced west toward what is now Lincoln Avenue.

The present Church, located at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Niles Center Road, was built in 1894.